Athletics and Recreation
All varsity athletic events are free with your OneCard picture ID. UNC’s biggest rivals are with Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest. Some men’s basketball games and some football games use a UNC student lottery system at http://goheels.com/. In the lottery, our experience is that winning tickets is relatively easy for many games. Duke/UNC men’s basketball tickets are most difficult to win, but is easiest your last year at UNC. However, some students are successful in earlier years! Block seating for football games can be reserved by calling the ticket office. Most athletic events are free to the public, including non-UNC friends and family members. If the event is not already free, you can purchase guest passes at http://goheels.com/.
- Campus Recreation – Many free facilities and activities (others are very inexpensive!)
- Individual Fitness: Free workout facilities are in the Student Recreation Center and Rams Head Recreation Center.
- Group Fitness Classes: UNC offers a number of free group fitness classes in the Student Recreation Center and Rams Head Recreation Center, including zumba, kickboxing, muscle conditioning, yoga, spin classes, and more.
- Climbing Wall: UNC offers two full size climbing walls in Fetzer gymnasium and Rams Head Recreation Center. Belay certification classes are offered on site.
- Swimming pools: Available indoors at Bowman Gray and outdoors at Kessing Pool.
- Courts: Courts for tennis, basketball, racquetball, and badminton are available at various indoor and outdoor courts around campus.
- Intramural Sports: Many Intramural sports are available every semester and open to all students.
- Club Sports: 48 club sports are available year round and open to graduate and professional students.
- Outdoor Recreation: Outdoor Education Center on campus offers a 18-hole disc golf course and off-site hiking, kayaking, and biking expeditions. On-campus ropes courses are available for team building activities.