The vast majority of graduate and professional students live off campus in areas in Chapel Hill, Carrboro, or Durham. Contacting current students to find their favorite apartment complexes, neighborhood, or roommates can be helpful.
Before you move, don’t forget to buy broadband!
Many local apartment complexes are on the free bus lines (Chapel Hill Transit, CHT) in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. If at all possible, we highly recommend living near a free CHT bus line, because the Park and Ride lots include fees for commuters (see Transportation section). For students living further away from campus with access to Triangle Transit Authority (TTA) buses, see the Transportation section for more information regarding the GoPass through the Commuter Alternative Plan (CAP) program.
Start your search with UNC
- UNC’s Off Campus Housing
- Heels Housing page from the Daily Tar Heel
- Check out UNC’s own apartments at Baity Hill. These limited-space complexes are suitable for single, group, and family living. Applications are accepted year-round.
For more information, visit:
call 919-962-5401 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Continue at off-campus sites
- Apartment List
- Apartment Finder
- Apartment Ratings
Utilities in The Triangle
Are WiFi, water, or electricity included in your rental agreement? If not make your first stops at
- Orange County Water and Sewer (OWASA) or Durham Utilities for water.
- Buy your electricity from Duke Energy or Piedmont Electric
- Get your broadband from Spectrum or AT&T
For students needing affordable storage spaces, check out Neighbor.
Resources and Guides to Housing and the Chapel Hill Community
For more information about housing and the community, visit these resource pages: