Sponsored by the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, Gillings on the Ground is a free, six-week “mini-course” combining cohort-based learning with interdisciplinary training for participants to develop the skills needed to work with communities in disaster preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation. Sessions are held virtually via Zoom once per week and feature community partners and UNC faculty members.
Registration is open to anyone with an interest – no prior experience in disaster response or affiliation with UNC is required! All participants who engage in at least four of the six sessions (either live or via recordings) will receive a certificate in disaster response and the opportunity to participate in a hands-on event in Spring 2023.
This year’s program begins October 12. You can find the weekly schedule below, though dates/times are subject to change. Recordings will be made available for all sessions in the event that participants have a conflict.
- Week 1: Emergencies in Public Health | Wednesday, October 12, 5:30-7 PM
- Week 2: Disaster Preparedness | Monday, October 17, 5:30 – 7 PM
- Week 3: Disaster Response | Monday, October 24, 5:30 – 7 PM
- Week 4: Disaster Recovery | Wednesday, November 2, 6:30 – 8 PM
- Week 5: Disaster Mitigation | Wednesday, November 9, 6:30 – 8 PM
- Week 6: Infant Feeding and Lactation in Disaster Settings | Monday, November 14, 5:30 – 7 PM